Guild Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteers are an important element in the total patient care program at SBL. While providing community services, volunteers often touch the lives of others during difficult times.
There are many opportunities for you to use your special skills and abilities while experiencing new and exciting challenges. Volunteers meet new friends and learn first-hand about the care the Health System provides to the communities it serves.
The SBL Guild is an organization comprised of dedicated men and women who donate their time to the Health System by assisting employees and visitors in their day-to-day activities. Guild members also host fundraisers to help purchase local equipment, fund scholarships for healthcare students and fulfill other Health System needs.
Active membership in the SBL Guild involves a commitment of an average of three hours of service each month and a $10 annual membership fee.
What volunteer opportunities are available?
Arts & Crafts – Volunteers use their special talents to make handcrafted items that brighten the spirits of our patients.
Clerical Volunteers – These volunteers provide departmental support by answering telephones, filing, photocopying, and performing other light clerical duties.
Gift Shop Clerk – Owned and operated by the Guild, proceeds from The Gift Shop sales fund Guild programs, activities, and scholarships. It also features an online service so gifts can be delivered to patients from their loved ones.
Guest Relations Desk – Volunteers provide greeting, direction, and information to those entering the Health System.
Heart Center – Volunteers greet patients as they enter and escort them to their destination.
Pet Therapy – Do you have a certified therapy dog? If so, we would love to have you join our program! Therapy dogs and their owners make visits to specific locations throughout the health center. There are also opportunities to accompany the therapy team as an assistant.
Regional Cancer Center – Volunteers greet and provide assistance to patients and families. They also provide departmental assistance and offer support and encouragement to those waiting for patients.
Surgery – Volunteers sit with our younger patients while they are waking from anesthesia and provide comfort measures.
Volunteer Nurse Program – Licensed RNs who deliver compassionate and courteous care to patients throughout the hospital and serve in a variety of clinical settings.
SBL Volunteer Guild Scholarships
The Sarah Bush Lincoln Volunteer Guild Scholarship program offers scholarships to students in the healthcare field.
Since 1979, the Guild has awarded more than $800,000 in scholarships in our ten-county service area to students who are pursuing their education in medically related fields.
Eligibility for Scholarship:
- Any person accepted into or currently enrolled in a clinical health care professional curriculum is eligible. Preference will be given to students who have been accepted in a health care profession sequence; that is, when courses are open only to student candidates for the degree or certification.
- Applicants enrolled in an associate degree or hospital-based program will be considered their first year.
- Applicants must be a permanent resident of the SBL 10-county service area. The 10-county service area includes: Coles, Clark, Cumberland, Douglas, Edgar, Effingham, Fayette, Jasper, Moultrie and Shelby counties.
- The school to be attended need not be an Illinois institution; however, it must be accredited or recognized as an approved program by the appropriate agencies.
- In order to be competitive, a 3.5 GPA out of 4 points or a 4.5 GPA out of 5 points is desirable.
Applications and documents must be emailed to [email protected] or uploaded below no later than April 15, 2023.
For more information about becoming a SBL Guild Volunteer, please contact Tracy Haddock, Volunteer Services Director, at (217) 258-2500.